Thursday, May 16, 2013

What I've Been Watching...


It's no secret that I am a movie fanatic (hence my film studies minor), but being away at a school who's only movie theater closed down at the beginning of a year kind of makes it hard to see the new releases. So since I've been home, I've made sure to catch up on as many as I can. There have been a ton of great movies I've seen and some not so great movies, so I thought I'd share what I thought of them!

Iron Man 3
I have actually seen this movie twice now and it was even better the second time I saw it. Not only are the gadgets and action awesome, but the story was actually really intriguing and engaging, which has been lacking lately in action movies. And Robert Downey Jr is amazing as always. I loved every minute of this movie and the two hours just flew by. If you're an Iron Man and Avengers fan, you DEFINITELY have to see this! I would recommend watching Avengers again if you're fuzzy on what happened because that movie was much more relevant to this one that Iron Man 2 was. Either way, you're going to love it! *****5 stars*****

The Host
I absolutely loved this book, so I've been wanting to see this movie ever since it came out. I'm so happy to say that the movie did the book justice and was great! I am so in love with the guy who played Jared, as much as I loved the actual Jared in the book. And I thought they did a great job doing the whole Melanie was still in Wanda's head thing. Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and thought the actors were absolutely perfect for their parts. *****5 stars*****

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
I love movies and books that are remakes of fairytales and classics, and this version of Hansel and Gretel sounded so cool. Witch hunters who blew off the head of any witch they find? Sign me up! This one is definitely a lot more bloody and graphic than the fairytale, but I loved it. The action parts were really cool and I loved the characters of Hansel and Gretel all grown up. It was pretty short, only an hour and a half, but I felt like that was the perfect amount of time for the story. I loved this darker take on the fairytale and think any retelling fan with a darker taste would as well. *****5 stars*****

Beautiful Creatures
While I never read the book, I was really excited to see this movie because I know a bunch of people who read the book and loved it. I was definitely not expecting a movie that had it's quirky sides like this one did. I enjoyed the story until the very end, which my sister told me after I saw the movie was completely different from the book. So I don't know why they would change the end but I thought it was kind of weird. So aside from the ending, this movie was pretty enjoyable. If you read the book, you probably won't like it as much but it's a decent movie overall. ****4 stars****

Oz the Great and Powerful
I was beyond excited to see this movie because The Wizard of Oz is a classic and the story about the wizard sounded awesome. Sadly, it ended up being super boring and I was not at all a fan of James Franco playing a playboy Oz. I saw this one at midnight after I had already watched Iron Man 3, so I ended up falling asleep during the only interesting part, which was about an hour and a half into the movie. Apparently that part was good, but I had to sit through a pretty boring story to get to that point. And with a main character who I really wasn't a big fan of, this movie was not at all worth seeing in theaters. In the end, I would have been fine not seeing it at all. Stick with The Wizard of Oz or Wicked, because those stories are much, much better than this one. **2 stars**


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...