Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Please Ignore My Mini Breakdown


Yeah, I know. Sunday was pretty brutal. But you know what? Today was a pretty darn good day. I think that classes are honestly the best part about being at school, so when I was finally able to begin my new schedule and meet all of my teachers, my mood did a complete 180. 

Last semester I added a Film Studies minor and I am so excited to take the required classes. This semester, I'm taking French Cinema and Italian Cinema. Don't those classes sound fun? I learned in my French Cinema class that the first film was actually made in 1895 by the Lumiere brothers, who were French. And in English their name translates to "the light brothers." Isn't that just so cool? We watched a bunch of their silent films (which are all roughly 50 seconds long) as well as two other short silent films. I've never watched a silent film before, so it was definitely a really cool experience. Did you know that when they first showed films to people, there was one where a train is driving towards the screen and when the people were watching it (one of the first moving pictures they've ever seen), they all freaked out and started running away because they thought an actual train was coming towards them? Haha, that's definitely something I didn't know about the first films! I love my teacher for that class and now I'm looking forward to every Tuesday and Thursday so I can learn even more about French film. 

Add my English classes on top of my film classes and I have a fantastic schedule. After going over the syllabus, I think I can handle the work load and I get to read a Jane Austen novel (Northanger Abbey) for my English Lit class! I'm so excited for that! I know it's going to be a lot of reading and writing this semester, but as long as my teachers stay awesome and I continue to look at the content of each class with a positive attitude, I think this semester will go okay after all. 

As for missing my family, that's still there. But I've made sure to keep in touch with my family every day, especially my sister, so they're still a huge part of my day. So while leaving home really isn't all that fun, I get to go to an amazing school and take a ton of classes that I'm truly interested, so I really can't complain. I can't wait to see what the semester has in store for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...